|Trafalgar Township Historical Society
"Documenting, celebrating and preserving the agricultural heritage of North Oakville"
Early Ward 5 History
Please note that this is not a full history of Trafalgar Twp but only a small section of it. Ward 5 is only about one quarter of the original Trafalgar Township. It is the area north of the QEW (formerly Lower Middle Road) and south of Lower Baseline Road. It falls between The Sixteen Mile Creek to the West and Trafalgar Road (formerly 7th Line) to the east). Please feel free to email us information to broaden this history so we can include all of Trafalgar Twp. and have a comprehensive history. We are interested in information on villages, families, buildings, schools, cemeteries etc- please email additions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Original Residents
The Iroquois Indians were the sole occupants of the land by 1649. Early maps show our area as hunting grounds for the Northern Iroquois. In the early 1700's the Iroquois left the area and their place was taken by the Chippewa Indians of the Algonquin Nation. A branch of the Chippewa's, the Mississaugas occupied the north shore of Lake Ontario. There was an early road that had been used for ages by the Indians. It was a link in the long trail leading from Quebec to New Orleans.In Trafalgar Township the trail ran at the foot of the low ridge a mile from the lake. This ridge was known as the Red Hill. The ridge is what was left of the shore cliff of Lake Ontario's predecessor known to geologists as Lake Iroquois. In Ward 5 you can still see the ridge today. It is just north of Oakville Place Mall and runs alongside Leighland Avenue. Indians travelled along this route as it was gravelly, level and dry. This route was also taken by French couriers and later by the British during winter when navigation on the lake was not possible. It is shown on numerous early maps.
The land was sold to the government on 12 Sep 1806 according to the signed documents, however the first settlers signed up for their land July 10, 1806.
Halton County was late in being settled because the land still belonged to the Mississauga's. Dundas Street was laid out as a trail in 1793, but it was not until 1806 that it was surveyed into the regulation 66 foot wide roadway. On Septmeber 6, 1806 the deed of conveyance and release for the land purchased from the MIssissauga Indians for the use of His Majesty in the Home District was transmitted to the Lieutenant Governor. The concession roads of the 1806 survey, and the line roads that ran perpendicular to them, blocked out the township in areas a mile and a quarter square with five 200 acre lots to a square; between every five lots ran a line road. The 7th line (present day Trafalgar Rd.) situated between lots 12 and 13 does not appear on the survey.
In July 1806 the first settlers arrived. They included the following families Kaittings, Freemans, Posts, Biggars, Mulhollands, Kenneys, Chisholms, Thompsons, Munns, Trowbriges, Shannons and Lamberts. Early settlers in Trafalgar paid about seven shillings and 6 pence per acre. The settlers were required to clear 5 acres, fence in their lots and build a house. The settlers who had land bordering a road had to clear the trees within 100 feet of the road and also "make improvement" on the road itself. Some settlers in Trafalgar Twp. had completed these duties by January 1808.
Dundas Street was almost impossible to traverse except on foot or horseback. The empty Clergy reserve land along the highway meant there was no one on that land to clear out the stumps in the road. Because of the problems these lots caused, the clergy reserves were moved to more remote areas. In 1817 Robert Gourlay met with the inhabitants of Trafalgar Twp. at the house of Daniel Munn to ask questions of the state of the Township. The inhabitants shared that the land is level, the top soil clay mixed with loam and a little gravel. Under that is red clay. The timber was red and white Oak, large white pine, beech, sugar maple and soft maple, black as well as white Ash, basswood, hickory, elm, white and red Hemlock, Ironwood, Chestnut, some Birch, asp, some cedar, some Butternut. The Timber is mostly large and stands thick on the land. Sleighing lasts about three months from Jan 1 to the end of March. There was between 3 and 4000 acres of land for sale in the Township. A great number of the farmers when they first settled had little more than a cow, a yoke of oxen, a log chain and an axe.
Present day Ward 5 was located first in the Home District until 1816 , then in the Gore District and in 1849 Halton County. Trafalgar Twp. had three hamlets-- Munn's Corners, Posts' Corners and Sixteen Hollow. In 1845 it was decided that districts were too large an area to govern and smaller Township councils were elected. An election was held at Post's Inn. In 1849 the Districts were divided up into smaller Counties. In the 1960's Trafalgar Township ceased to exist and became part of the municipality of Oakville. In 1831 7th line (now called Trafalgar Road) was built and 6th Line was improved. 7th Line was needed so the new settlers in moving in above present day Lower Baseline Road could travel down to Oakville.
On Dec 7, 1837 William Lyon Mackenzie made his historic flight following the skirmish at Montgomery's Tavern. The Montgomery's Tavern connected with the Rebellion was burned to the ground during the Rebellion and was located on the west side of Yonge Street near Eglinton Avenue. John Montgomery had his tavern leased to a John Linfoot at the time that it was destroyed in 1837. Mackenzie fled west along Dundas in a wagon past Post's Corners and Munn's Corners towards Sixteen Hollow and The Sixteen Mile Creek. On being hotly pursued he jumped out of the wagon before reaching the bridge and took to the woods. He later ended up crossing the sixteen holding his clothes above his head. Halton legend says after crossing the creek he found shelter at Philip Trillers. Triller was on the east bank but the Triller family had intermarried with the Bucks and Howells who were on the west bank.
By 1839 the traffic coming down to Oakville's port from the north was so heavy that it was decided to improve the 7th Line by "planking" the road from Oakville to Post's Corners. The residents had wated the road planked all the way to Owen Sound but only got the Government to agree to the 4 miles between Oakville and Post's Corners. In 1850 elections were held for the Municipality of the Township of Trafalgar. The township was divided into wards and elections were held at local Inns.
In the May 11, 1841census of Trafalgar Twp. peoples native country was listed. Here is the breakdown... Native Of USA 306, Europe 15, Canada of British Origin 2,584, Canada of French Origin 32, Scotland 127, Ireland 964, England 467
In 1850 the 7th Line (Trafalgar Rd.) was planked for 17 miles from the lake. Toll booths were placed every few miles to cover the cost of maintenance. The booth at Dundas & Trafalgar was operated by Donald Campbell.
Dundas became the main east west thoroughfare and a mail service was instituted between Toronto and Dundas. Early on the mail was delivered on horse back. In 1816 a stage coach service was started along Dundas between York (Toronto) and Dundas. The stage stopped at Post's Corners. The driver of the coach put the mail bags under his seat or on top of the coach. The coaches were adorned with the King's Coat of Arms. Upon reaching a post office the driver blew a blast on his horn and threw the mailbag off the stage. The postmaster emptied the bag, took out what was addressed to his district and put the rest back, along with outgoing mail from his office. At Post's Corners there was a twenty minute delay while the horses were changed over. The receiver paid for the letters when they arrived and because of the cost some pioneers were unable to get their mail. A letter from England would take about 6 months to arrive in Halton Co.
The Trafalgar Post office was opened in 1822 at 9th line in the store kept by Henry Proudfoot. It was the first post office in Halton County and the only post office between York and Dundas. The office was later moved to Post's Corners with the opening of 7th line (Trafalgar Rd. ) to the north. It was located on the north west corner of Trafalgar and Dundas and was purchased by James Applebe. In 1833 the mail was delivered along the Lakeshore and a Duncan McColl was the post-boy on horseback who for years carried the mail up to Post's Corners Post Office. In about 1908 Jim Curry of Milton started a rural mail service and delivered to people's homes.
Triller's Mill - 1805, as a young man of 18-20, Philip Triller walked from the American State of New Jersey to Upper Canada with his 9 brothers and sisters, mother and father (Philip & Mary Catherine) who settled from Grimsby through Nelson & Trafalgar townshps along the lake. Triller drew lot 21, 1st concession south of Dundas Street. Triller's land was in the area west of present day Neyagawa, below Dundas . (Riverbank way, Valley Hgts Cres., Valley Stream Pl., Valley Forest Way, Valley Crest Circle & River Heights Gate.) The first mill in the township was built on the Sixteen by Phillip Triller. In 1808 he petitioned the Lieutenant-Governor saying that although there were very few acres fit for cultivation he has completed the settlement duties on the land and has received the Patent. Triller states that because much of the Sixteen Mile Creek is reserved for the Indians there are not many mill sites south of Dundas. Triller requested lot 32 on the Lakeshore but it already belonged to William Allan. When nothing came of his petition Triller established a grist and saw mill at Dundas Street on his original grant of land. The mill was about a mile south of the Dundas Street, and not far from the Upper Middle Road. Triller opened a road to the mill called "Hickory Grove." In 1817 some local settlers who wrote of their living conditions said that "the rate of sawing is one half when the sawlogs are carried to the mill." The mill lasted until the 1830's.
Chalmer's Mill/ Trafalgar Mill - Chalmers' saw and grist mill was at Dundas and The Sixteen Mile Creek, just above and to the west of Trillers. The mill went into operation in 1827. George Chalmers, a Scot, had started as a general merchant at Munn's Corners about 1820. In 1826 he began to buy up land along The Sixteen where it crosses Dundas Street. The village of Sixteen Village/Hollow grew up around it.
In 1840 Chalmers fell into financial difficulty and the mill with its surrounding buildings was sold to John Proudfoot who named the mill Trafalgar. and the village was then called Proudfoots Hollow.
Culhams Mill - Thompson Smith established a sawmill in 1838 on lot 18 2nd concession. In present day, Smith's land in ward 5 would include the following streets- part of Old Upper Middle Rd. W., part of Richmond Rd., Royal Oak Ct., Rambler Ct., Royal Albert Ct., Princess Royal Ct., Peerless Ct. and McCraney St. W. going north. Smith was a farmer and also a cabinetmaker. He built his mill below the curve in the river. The mill was reached by a road that ran north through his land to meet up with the Upper Middle Road. By the 1840s he was one of the largest lumber dealers in the district. (Hiram McCraney had a mill south of this mill but on the west bank.)
In 1844 the Culhams (who were related to Thompson Smith through marriage into the Post family) bought the lots surrounding the mill, and the mill was taken over by Charles Culham. Smith retained an interest in the mill, and it is said that he and Culham ( a strict Methodist) argued over the issue of the MIll not running on Sundays. .
In 1953 the land was owned in part by the Jesuit Association.
The Post's Inn was opened by the Post family on the south west corner of Dundas and Trafalgar probably about 1831 coinciding with the building of 7th Line (Trafalgar Rd.). A relay of horses was kept there for the mail coach. The Inn was first run by Ephraim Post and was enlarged by a two-story addition across the front when his son Hiram took it over in 1841. On the same property behind the inn there was a drill shed for the purpose of storing items for military drills of the local militia. The Inn had five fireplaces. Much of the local business was done at the Inn and there are records of ward elections taking place there until at least 1852. James Young was running the Inn in 1876 when George Baker took over and remained there until his death.The Inn was torn down in the late 1960's
The Munn's Inn located at the south east corner of Sixth Line and Trafalgar in Munn's Corners, was run by Daniel Munn and his wife Millicent (Post). It was on lot 16 concession 1 concession south of Dundas. This tavern and stage house was the first in Trafalgar Twp. having been opened sometime before 1814. About 1825 William Young leased the tavern from widow Millicent Munn.
A Few Who Signed Conditions of Settlememt Form Jul 10 1806
Ezekiel Post - lot 7 north of Dundas 28 Feb 1807 200 acres completed Settlement duties 2 Jan 1808 (He was east of Trafalgar Rd.)
Abraham Yuill - lot 13 1 Con N Dundas 200acres
James Thomson - lot 14 1 con N. Dundas 200acres
Daniel Munn - lot 15 1 Con S. Dundas 200 acres completed 2 Jan 1808
David & Mary Trowbridge - lot 17 1 Con S. Dundas & N. Dundas 400 acres
Mary Corknil - lot 18 1 Con S. Dundas 200acres
Charles Bigger - lot 19 1 Con N. Dundas 200 acres completed 12 Jul 1808
William Corber - lot 20 1 Con N. Dundas 100 acres
Daniel Shannon - lot 20 1 Con S. Dundas 200 acres completed Feb 2 1808
Fanny Lambert - lot 22 Con 2 N. Dundas 200 acres completed 8 Apr 1808
Land Grant records
Daniel Munn Con 1 Lot 15 south Dundas & Ezekiel Post Con 1 Lot 7 north Dundas, both of Scarborough . Acted upon 6 July 1804, Settlement duly performed 2 Jan 1808. By Jan 1808 they had both fenced in their land, cleared five acres, cleared half the road in front of their property and cut down all trees within 100 feet of the road, and built a house sixteen feet by Twenty feet.
June 28,1806 Wilmot Survey
Charles Anderson, Charles Bigger, Alexander Brown, Mary Cockwell, Daniel Cook, Margaret Culp, Edmond Decow, John Dogharty, William Freeman, Peter Gehers, Robert Graham, Abraham Grobb, William Harrington, Nathaniel Hawlenbick, Conrad House, Harman House, Jacob Huffman, Amelia Jones, David Jones, John Lakes, Fanny Lambert, William McCraney, Forbes Mitchell, Daniel Munn, John Robinson, Daniel Shannon, James Thomson, Phillip Triller, Daniel Trowbridge, Mary Trowbridge, Solomon Vrooman, Peter Young, Rebeca Wilkins
2 Jan 1808 Petition to make the Creeks and Dundas Road Passable.
Inhabitants of Toronto, Trafalgar & Nelson
John Chisholm, Thomas Atkinson, Alexander Brown, Daniel Reiley, James Davidson, John Day, George King, Jonas Lechy?, John King, Silas Hopkins, Joseph Hopkins, Gabriel Hopkins, Samuel Davise?, Medard Parsons, John Young, David Analige?, David Kenney, John Robinson, David Taylor, Moses Teeter, George Marlatt, Conrad Schön, Garet Covenhaven, Daniel Wadsworth, Henery Leppard, Joseph Marlatt Sr., Royal Hopkins, Samuel Levi?, Joshua Wilder, Robert Huggans, Henry Magee, John Ganong, James Grisham, Paul Reilly, Jas McMurtrie, Hiram Hopkins, David Crippen, M McCay, W. McCay, Samuel Covenhoven, Ezekial Post, Daniel Munn, David Albertson, Edmond Decow, John Stephens, Daniel Young Jr., Hezekiah Hull, Stephan Chase, Joseph Bethell
1817 (Statistical Account of Upper Canada by R Gourlay)
Amos Bigger, Charles Bigger, James Bigger, Michael Buck, Nathaniel Cornwall, Lawrence Hager, James Hopper, Henry Loucks, James McBride J.P., Duncan McQueen, Daniel Munn, Timothy Robins, Absalom Smith, Benjmain Smith, Joseph Smith, James Thomson
John Alton, James Appleby, J.B. Anderson, J. Beaty, Charles Bigger, Mrs J. Bigger, Michael Bigger, F. Campbell, George Chalmers, George Chisholm, John Clements, J. Close (Inn), H. Cornwill, Alex Coyne, Daniel Crosby, Charles Culham (Saw MIll), John Culham, J. Farley, J. Featherstone, Andrew Ford, John Ford, Isaac Freeman, William Gibson, George Halliday (Glenorky farm, Steam MIll), William Halliday, H. Hannahs, Richard Holland, Jonathon Howell (Pinegrove Farm), William Hutton, John Jones, William Katting(Steam Saw Mill), Samuel Kenney, W.M. King (Solitude), Mrs M. Leach, Hiram McCraney, Thomas McDonald, Daniel McDuffe, George Mulholland, Henry Mosley, Jordon Munn (School & Church), K.H. Munn (Spring Creek Farm), Jonathon Pettit, William Pettit, Hiram Post (Inn, Drilll Shed) , Ephraim Post (School), John Proudfoot (Park Hall Farm, Saw & Grist Mill), William Reid, Nathan Robbins, William Robertson, William Rorke, John Slacer, James Thompson, Benjamin Thompson, Philip Triller (Hickory Grove Farm), Benjamin Tuck
Cyrus W. Anderson, James Applebe, John Askin, Miss J. Biggar, John Biggar, Michael L. Biggar, George Bowbeer, A.W. Brownridge, Dr. A Buck, G.B. Chisholm, Mrs Mary Clements, Mrs. Emily Cline, Charles Colham, John Culham, Ed Cornwall, Alexander Coyne, Richard Cullingworth, J.A. Delamour, T. Dent, William Dent, F. Doty, James Dougherty, John Dowler, T.W. Evans, Thomas Evans, John Featherston, Thomas Fell, J.S. Finlayson, Estate of James Finlayson, , Alexander A. Fleming, Isaac Freeman, Robert Fox, C.C. Gibson, William Gibson, Z. Handcock, George Halliday, Richard Halloran, J. Hanama, T.L. Johnson, John Jones, Mrs E. Joyce, W. Kaiting, J. Kilgars, Hiram McCraney, E. Mcleran, William McCraney, Thomas McDonald, Daniel McDuffe, David McDuffe, William McWilliams, James Morrison, D. Munn, K.H. Munn, J.W. Orth, Mr Papps, William Perkins, Mrs J. Petit, William Y. Petit, A.H. Post, Richard Postans, John Reid, John Rorke, William Rorke, Estate of Wm. Robinson, Solomon Savage, James Slacer, John Stacer, Charles Thompson, A.W. Trawn, Benjamin Tuck, R.S. Wood
1841 Census S. of Dundas in Present Day Ward 5
Armstrong, Arch, farmer, proprieter of Lot 21 1st Conc S.D.S. 8 in family native of Canada, 1 native of USA who came to province in 1818
Biggar, Amos, farmer, proprietor of lot 20 1st Conc S.D.S. Self, wife & 8 children born in Canada
Biggar, James farmer proprietor Lot 18 1st Conc S.D.S.. MIgrated 1800 from USA with wife & 6 children. 2 children b. in Canada
Bissett, David, farmer non proprietor Lot 18, 2nd conc S.D.S. 1 native Canada
Cavanagh, Michael labourer, non -prop. lot 15 2nd conc S.D.S. migrated 18?? from Ireland, wife b. US 4 children b. Canada
Freeland, Henry W. farmer non-prop lot 16 1st conc S.D.S. Munn's Corners self, wife and 10 children b. in Canada
Freeland, Peter, carpenter non-prop lot 16 1st conc S.D.S. Munn's COrners self, wife and 6 children b. Canada
Hatton, John farmerproprietor lot 14, 2nd conc S.D.S. migrated with wife & 3 children from Ireland 1841
Hewitt, Carson, carpenter, non-prop, lot 16 1st conc S.D.S. Munn's Corners migrated w wife & 4 children from Ireland 1839
Hewitt, Robert, carpenter, non-prop, lot 16, 1st conc S.D.S. migrated with wife from Ireland 1839. 1 child b. Canada
Jeffery, George, shoemaker, proprietor lot 14, 1st conc S.D.S. migrated w wife from Ireland, 3 children b. Canada
McGuffin, James, inn keeper, propritor lot 16 1st conc S.D.S. Munn's Corners migrated 1835 w. wife & 3 children Ireland, 1 b. Canada, 2 USA
Mulholland, George, farmer propritor lot 17 1st conc S.D.S. migrated from US with wife 1798, 9 children b. in Canada
Mulholland, Ira, non-prop lot 17 1st conc S.D.S. wife b. in Scotland 2 children b. in Canada
Munn, Ansel, labourer, non-prop lot 13 1st conc S.D.S. 1 b. in Ireland, 2 b. in Canada
Munn, Nathaniel, farmer, non-proprietor lot 15 1st conc S.D.S. migrated 1806 with wife from USA
Pettit, William Y. farmer proprietor lot 19 1st conc S.D.S. self, wife and 1 child b. in Canada, Thrashing MIll
Post, Hiram, inn-keeper, prop. lot 13 1st conc S.D.S. 7th Line, Post's Corners, migrated 1811 US, 2 England, 2 Ireland, 2 USA, 6 in Canada
Rumley, James, farmer, non-prop, lot 13, 2nd conc S.D.S. migrated 1825 w wife from England, 2 children b. Canada
Smith, Levi, farmer, proprietor lot 22, 1st conc S.D.S. 2 b. USA 5 b. Canada
Smith, Thompson, farmer proprietor lot 18 2nd conc S.D.S. self, wife & 4 children b. Canada, Sawmill
Wells, Robert, farmer, non-prop, lot 17 2nd conc, S.D.S., migrated 18??, 1 Ireland, 1 England, 3 Canada
Early Towns in Ward 5
Glenorchy/Glenorky - Listed on 1858 Tremaines Map as farm of George Halliday at Concession 2 north of Dundas on north part of lots 21 & 22
Munn's Corners - Located at Dundas and Sixth Line, it was so named because the Munn's family owned the ne and se corners of the intersection. Daniel Munn operated an Inn on the south corner. The Munn's were on the land by 1806.
Postville/ Post's Corners - Located at Trafalgar and Dundas, it was a Hamlet called Post's Corners from at least 1815 - 1851 and called Postville by 1857. It was the location of the local store, school, Steam saw Mill, Inn, Drill shed for the local militia and Post Office. It was also a stage stop between York and Dundas. It was called Post's Corners because Ephraim Post owned the sw corner and the north-east corner. It is not clear when they first owned this land but sometime between 1807 and 1816.
The Inn was on the s.w. corner and the store and post office a bit farther west on the n.w. corner. The store was owned by Squire James Appelbe and around 1840 the post office was also moved into the store. ( Having previously being located east of Post's Corners and Alexander Proudfoot being the postmaster.) Just below the south east corner there was a steam saw mill. In the late 1960's the Inn was torn down and the general store taken down to make way for a service station. The Post's home on the north-east corner of Dundas & Trafalgar was torn down in 1965
Sixteen Village/Hollow or Proudfoots Hollow - Sixteen Village was located south of Dundas on the east bank of the Sixteen MIle Creek. (Present day it would be just west of Neyagawa Blvd.) It's founder was George Chalmers who opend a grist and saw mill, a store and an ashery there in 1827. The village grew up around it and spread down the valley. The people in the village were largely Scottish Presbyterians, and the Reverand Robert Murray form the Oakville Presbyterian Congregtion visited them perriodically. In 1840 Chalmers sold the mill, Distillery, Dwelling house, Tavern Stand, with barns, blacksmith shop and other buildings to John Proudfoot. The area sold was 400 acres. John Proudfoot than named the mill Trafalgar and the village became known as Proudfoots Hollow. (In Tremaines map for 1858 it shows Proudfoot owning about 400 acres north of Dundas just above the location of Proudfoot HollowThis makes me wonder if the mill was actually just north of Dundas but all the books I've read show it as being below.) The village disapeared by 1858 probably because of the removal of the stage coach route along Dundas and the increased focus on Oakville as a thriving centre. Proudfoot left for Ohio in the 1860's and when the mill was closed in the 80's only two houses remained occupied. The erection of the bridge at Dundas accross the Sixteen removed what was left of the village.
Ward 5 Cemeteries
Munns was secured in 1808 and is about 1/4 acre on s side of Dundas Street and Sixth Line. It used to part of the Munn's family farm which consisted of 200 acres. They provided this section for burial property. The farm stayed in the name of the Munn's family until the time it was sold to Senator Hayes in 1983. Munn's is owned and operated by the corporation of the town of Oakville. Here are a few of the individuals buried there. Ephraim Post born Hebron, Conn., Apr 26, 1776 d. Aug 7 1851 Elizabeth, wife of Ephraim Post, born Sturbridge, mass. March 17, 1784 d. May 26 1851 Mehetable d/o E & E Post d. Nov 15 1837 in the 21st year of her age. Hiram Post d. Aug 23, 1860 age 57yrs Jane Sibles, wife of Hiram Post, born Pebles, Scotland, Jan 16, 1812 d. Nov 10, 1854 Emily, wife of Peter D. Kenney and d/o Hiram & Jane Post, d. Mar 13 1862 age 27 yrs 4 ms 15 days Elizabeth Lyon, youngest daughter of Hiram & Jane Post, d. Jan 16, 1855 age 5 yrs 5 ms 13 days Ephraim Post 1823- 31 Aug 1883 age 60 yrs ; his wife Jane Miles 1825-10 Mar 1867 Herbert E. Post second son of Ephraim & Jane Post d. 6 May 1877 age 20 yrs 24 days
Knox Sixteen is on the south side of Dundas and is located behind the Knox Sixteen church.It is owned and operated by the church.
Trafalgar cemetery. was established in 1958 by Trafalgar Twp at that time and under the aspices of the Oakville cemetery board and now maintained by the Parks and recreation dept. It is approx 60 acres in total.It is owned & operated by the corporation of the town of Oakville
Most of the people living in Trafalgar township were Methodists. The Methodists had two itinerant saddlebag preachers in Trafalgar by 1817. At a later date Trafalgar became part of a circuit. Two preachers, each had thirty appointments in the four weeks it took to cover the territory. They had 400 people under their pastoral care.
At Munn`s corners at the 6th Line a congregation met in the schoolhouse and later in a church building.
Knox shared a minister with the Oakville Presbyterian Congregation. Rev. Robert Murray until 1842. James Nisbet in 1845. Rev Nisbet made 120 pounds per annum.
Designated Buildings Ontario Heritage Act, LACAC March 2000
The Amos Biggar House Circa 1816, 502 Dundas. It is believed that Amos Biggar, a United Empire Loyalist, built the original rectangular section of this house. it is a good example of the Classic revival. The house consists of a 1 1/2 storey rectangular original section with single storey additions to either side, quite possibly constructed by its next owner, Philip Box.
Knox Presbyterian Church Sixteen, Circa 1846, 1150 Dundas Street West. The church was designated in 1978, represents a Gothis Revival style reproduced on many churches of this period. The church is heavy buttressed on the front and along the sides of the building. In 1899 the church underwent some changes to the original frame, which was remodelled and bricked over. In 1925 the interior of the church was redecorated and the wood cedar shingles replaced with ashaly shingles.
The Squire James Appelbe House, Circa 1850, 257 Dundas Street East. James Applebe came to Canada in 1815 and married Jemima McDuffy a descendent from the UEL family who were early settlers in Trafalgar Twp. arriving in 1808. James Applebe was postmaster, storeowner, Justice of the Peace, Treasurer of Trafalgar Twp. and one of the first directors of the Bank of Toronto. The house is an example of rural Oakville Vernacular style. It is a 1 1/2 storey farm residence, with a side gable roof, a central gable dormer, and a five bay facade. Four unique full-length windows with transoms distinguish the front elevation.
King's Castle 21 Regency Court, Circa 1854. Built by Wiliam MacKenzie King, a publisher who called his home Solitude. It was designated in 1978. It is a distinctiveley styled brick Gothic Revival House, with tall narrow gables, steeply pitched roof, pointed windows and decorative bargeboards and pendents.In 1858 there was a verandah around the building added by it's fourth owner the Merry family. The book God Is In The Attic by H. Merry tells of the time his family lived in the home.
The Featherstone Farm House Circa 1870, 185 Burnamthorpe Road West. Built by farmer,John Featherstone. The house was taken over by his son William. William was MAyor of Oakville in 1914 and 1915. The house is of a Victorian Gothis style with a central gable and Gothic arched window. The interior has high baseboards, original wooden floors and ornate ceiling mouldings.
1105 Sixth Line, Circa 1870. Built during the early 1870's for Jeremiah Hagaman. He was considered a carriageman of distinction and set up a factory in Oakville. He was one of Oakville's first councillors, representing Ward One from 1859 until atleast 1862. The house is a good example of second empire architecture, with a straight with flare mansard roof with hooded and scrolled dormers, bracketed cornice and decorative woodwork.
Munn's United Church Circa 1898, 5 Dundas Street East. The first church on this site was erected in 1844 and was Mwethodist. A larger brick church was built in 1898. It is a well preserved example of Gothic Revival style prevalent in church architecture during the nineteenth century. It has retained the pointed windows, apalladian styled window, brick buttresses and stone window sills.
Pioneer Families Background
ALBERTSON - William Albertson born in NJ in 1793 came to the Township of Proudfoot in 1800 and to Trafalgar in 1811.
APPELBE - Squire James Applebe kept the local store in Post's Corners and was the Postmaster. He was Irish. Behind his store was his house which was built in the 1850's. He was a candidate for provincial office for 4 days. He wrote his resignation as postmaster in 1871 requesting that his son be appointed so that he could run for office. Four days later he had changed his mind and withdrew his resignation. The premier was not interested in having him back as postmaster as he was running against the government. 58 local citizens submitted a petition to have him reinstated. His son Robert Swanton Appelbe was a solicitor who established himself at Oakville in the 1860's. He married daughter of Thomas Jaffray Robertson. Applebes sister was the wife of Sir Charles A Hanson, Bart., Lord Mayor of London at the end of WW1.
CHALMERS - Presbyterian George Chalmers, a Lowland Scot, started as a general merchant at Munn's Corners about 1820. He began to buy up land along The Sixteen where it crosses Dundas Street in 1816. There he built a saw mill. Chalmers lived in a frame house in the village he had founded at SIxteen MIle creek. He was colonel of the 5th Regiment of Gore Militia and took an active part against the Rebellion. By 1840, he was in financial difficulty and his land and buildings at Sixteen Mile creek were sold.
COBBAN - Dr. James Cobban was born in Scotland in 1802 and in 1832 took up residence at Sixteen MIle Creek to practise his profession. He was the third pioneer doctor between Hamilton and Toronto. He was Surgeon to the 5th Regiment of MIlitia of Gore Nov 1838. One daughter married Clarkson Freeman who was in partnership with him at the time of his death in 1857. Another daughter married Clarkson's brother Dr. William Freeman.
CULHAMS - Charles and John Culham owned a considerable amount of land between 17th Line and The Sixteen MIle Creek. They also operated a mill there. Each of them built a large brick house on their properties.
FREEMAN - Isaac Freeman born in NY 1794, son of William, of German background. He fought in the Revolutionary War. In 1800 he migrated to Canada and settled first in Ancaster, then in Halton Co. He assisted in the pursuit of William Lyon Mackenzie King. Had a son Clarkson. Clarkson became a Dr. in Trafalgar Twp. and during the late American war was a surgeon with General Grants army of the Potomac. Mayor of Milton 1870 to 72. Portrait at http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/Portraits/hal-ifreeman.jpg and biographical sketch at http://www.halinet.on.ca/localhistory/Page.asp?PageID=175
HAGER - Lawrence Hager born in NJ in 1784 came from Pennsylvania in 1799 to Grimsby. He settled in Trafalgar Twp. in 1806 and died in Palermo in 1870.
KAITTING - William Kaitting's father, John was born near Utica, N.Y. and his mother in New Jeresy. They settled on Lot 18 on Dundas Street. William is listed in 1877 atlas with a business of market gardening and small fruits.
Biographical Sketch at http://www.halinet.on.ca/localhistory/Page.asp?PageID=152
KING - In 1858 William King purchased the south half of lot 16, concession 2 south of Dundas Street. William was cousin to William Chisholm, founder of Oakville. Here he built King's Castle. In 1859 he sold the house to his cousin Robert who in turn sold it to his brother Thomas Chisholm. . He was quite a travellor and is said to have circled the globe three times. King had built the home intending to marry a rich lady but this failed and he married the housekeeper.
MCCRANEY - William McCraney MP Portrait at http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/Portraits/hal-wmccraney.jpg Residence in Trafalgar Twp. http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/Properties/hal-p-wmccraney.jpg
Biographical sketch at http://www.halinet.on.ca/localhistory/Page.asp?PageID=132
MUNN - Daniel Munn drew lot 16 on the south-east corner of the 6th Line in 1806 where he also opened a Tavern some time prior to 1814. This cross-roads soon became known as Munn's Corners. Daniel married Millicent Post. He was the first town clerk for Trafalgar in 1813.
POST - The Posts came from Connecticut to York and then later to Halton. Jordan Post, was the father of the Posts who came to Trafalgar Twp. His son Ezekiel m. 1st Anna Munn and 2nd Phebe Butt. Ezekial settled in Trafalgar in 1806. Ezekiel was named the first constable for Trafalgar in 1809. In 1814 he was the town warden. Ezekiel had land just east of Posts Corners. His brother Ephraim Post owned 200 acres on the south west corner of Dundas & Trafalgar where his Inn was located. He came in 1811. Their sister Millicent married Daniel Munn and he operated the Inn at Munn's Corners.
PROUDFOOT - John Proudfoot purchased the mill, land and buildings at Sixteen Mile creek from George Chalmers. On the 1858 Tremaines map he owned about 400 acres north of Dundas Street at Sixteen Mile creek. This is where he had his home called Tara Hall. The fact that he owned this land above Dundas makes me wonder if the saw mill was not above Dundas instead of below as suggested in most of the history books on Oakville.
RORKE - John Rorke is listed in 1877 Atlas as a grainer and a painter.
SOVEREIGN - Philip Sovereign who's father had come from NY and settled in Norfolk Co in 1799, moved to Trafalgar in 1812.
SPRINGERS - Richard Springer came to Canada in 1786 . They came to Trafalgar about 1807.
TRILLER - Phillip Triller was a Loyalist who in 1806 had brought his wife and ten children from New Jersey to Upper Canada. Triller drew lot 20 of the 1st concession south of Dundas Street. He built the first mill in Trafalgar there.
WRIGHT - Dr. David Dolmage Wright, son of a Wesleyan Minister and "graduate of the Whittakerian School of Medicine and Surgery NY, of the University of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia and Licentiate of the Medical Board of Western Canada" began his practice at Post's Corners in 1851. Three years later practised in Oakville.
YOUNG - William Hixon Young, son of the Oakville House's first proprietor, was born at Munn's Corners, where his father had leased the tavern from Millicent Munn prior to the building of The Oakville House.
1855 Report Of the Local Superintendent lists three schools for Postville. No 3, 4 and 9.
Two were established in 1824 and one in 1847. These were the only schools located in present day Ward 5. The Post's Corners School either SS no 4 or SS No 9 was located on the north east corner of Dundas & Trafalgar. It was moved to Burnamthorpe near Sniders Corners and still stands there today. There was a school called Munn's Corners S.S. No 3 established in 1824 and that was located at Munn's Corners on the north east corner of Dundas and SIxth Line. The 1877 Historical Atlas lists Robert A Fleming as the teacher for SS No 3 Postville. He came to Trafalgar in 1870. It is not yet known were the third school was located.
In 1841 a permanent school fund was established in each township. The Trafalgar Twp. Council was responsible for raising through taxation a money equivalent to the government grant for the support of its schools. In addition to the tax a school fee of 1s 3 d per month was levied on each child of school age whether they were attending school or not. For the first time schools in the township had a permanent source of income.
In 1867 The Munn's school No 3 with teacher James Baker and Palermo school No 2 with teacher Robert Coates visited Sniders Corners School. The following children from Munn's and Palermo signed their names in the registry. Miss Albertson x2, David W,. Albertson, George Albertson, Sarah Albertson, Thomas Archer, Nancy Barber, Maggie Bigger, Muriel Buchanan, Arthur Conover, Edwin Culham, Summer Featherson, David Fish, Hiram Fish, Miss Gilldand, James Gillelan, Miss Gilly, Robert Hall, Sarah Hall, Miss King x2, Obadiah W. King, H.S.P.K. Larresser, Cyrus Leaurcuer, Mary Jane Lyons, Catherine Manly, Miss Mayne, James Munn, Joseph Munn, Millicent Munn, John Pickering, Harry Post, Josephine Post, Euicy Richardson, Joseph Secord, Edwin H Secord B.B.H., Albert Shain, E.R. Shain, Miss Snider, Maggie Snider, Sarah Snider, Miss Sproule x2, John Tobin, Samuel Williamson, James WInsson Moms? - Mrs Connover, Mrs Henderson, Mrs Albertson
Historical Web Links