- Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 - March Break Family Drop-In.
On Wednesday, March 12, from 10 to2 p.m., the Trafalgar Township Historical Society invites your family to the Old Palermo Schoolhouse. Our Historic Interpreter invites children of all ages to a Celtic Art Program. Look ahead to St. Patrick's Day. Discover the origins of Celtic Culture in the Iron Age and make some Iron Age jewellry. Learn about Celtic knots and assemble your own Irish Blessings Bottle to take home.
Enjoy the restored one-room school with its slates, desks and collection of readers and historic teaching resources at 2431 Dundas W. (just east of Bronte Rd.) Parking onsite.
- Friday, March 28th, 2014 - Archives Open House at the Schoolhouse 1:30-3:30pm
- Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 - Historical Education Practices together with TTHS Update, update on Schoolhouse Programming, Grant, meet the teacher, Katherine Belrose- our new teacher
7pm at the Schoolhouse
- Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 - School Visit
- Friday, May 16th, 2014 - Archives Open House at the Schoolhouse 1:30-3:30pm
- Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 - TTHS meeting (speaker & topic to be confirmed) 7pm at the Schoolhouse
- Friday, July 18th, 2014 - Archives Open House at the Schoolhouse 1:30-3:30pm
- Saturday, September 27th, 2014 - Family Heritage Fair & Book Sale 10-4pm
- Friday, October 17th, 2014 - Archives Open House at the Schoolhouse 1:30-3:30pm
- Tuesday, November 24th, 2014 - TTHS meeting (speaker & topic to be confirmed) 7pm at the Schoolhouse
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society holds scanning days every other month during our open house and at our fall fair in September. The scanning project has so far recorded more than 1,000 family and historic photos from Trafalgar Township.
Naming your images: We use a particular file naming convention so before you begin your scanning work, please contact TTHS who will provide more information about assigning the correct names to each image.
Scanning your photos: In an effort to create archival quality versions of original images, it is necessary to use the following settings when scanning photographs on any scanner:
- 600 dpi resolution
- Photograph setting (as opposed to text, etc.)
- Full colour (While many photographs being scanned are in black and white, full colour allows us to be true to the original's colouring and nuances.
- Save image as a TIFF with no compression
Sending images to TTHS: Due to the size of these images, it is best to save them onto DVD-RW, but CD-RW are a consideration depending on the age and availability of the equipment with which you are working. They can then be mailed to TTHS c/o 97 Roxton Rd Oakville On L6H 6V3. Do not attempt to email these files, as their large size will cause significant difficulties with your computer and/or your e-mail provider.
The Schoolhouse is available for community rentals at $20/hour. Contact Gord Kaitting or Michelle Knoll (see the Contacts page) for more information