- Saturday, September 27th, 2014 - Family Heritage Fair & Book Sale 10-4pm
Visit the restored one-room Palermo schoolhouse, sit in the old desks, revisit the "good old days" of 'reading, writin' 'n 'rithmetic, view photographic and heritage displays of Trafalgar Township while chatting with area neighbours and local historians, enjoy a hot dog or hamburger. The Trafalgar Township Historical Society houses a unique collection of readers and teaching materials to enhance their "schooldays" programs for Grade 3 students. Local history and photography booklets for sale.
Hosted by the Trafalgar Township Historical Society, this Saturday only celebration of Family Heritage Day is part of Doors Open Halton Region 2014.
- Friday, October 17th, 2014 - Archives Open House at the Schoolhouse 1:30-3:30pm
- Tuesday, November 24th, 2014 - TTHS meeting (speaker & topic to be confirmed) 7pm at the Schoolhouse
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society holds scanning days every other month during our open house and at our fall fair in September. The scanning project has so far recorded more than 1,000 family and historic photos from Trafalgar Township.
Naming your images: We use a particular file naming convention so before you begin your scanning work, please contact TTHS who will provide more information about assigning the correct names to each image.
Scanning your photos: In an effort to create archival quality versions of original images, it is necessary to use the following settings when scanning photographs on any scanner:
- 600 dpi resolution
- Photograph setting (as opposed to text, etc.)
- Full colour (While many photographs being scanned are in black and white, full colour allows us to be true to the original's colouring and nuances.
- Save image as a TIFF with no compression
Sending images to TTHS: Due to the size of these images, it is best to save them onto DVD-RW, but CD-RW are a consideration depending on the age and availability of the equipment with which you are working. They can then be mailed to TTHS c/o 97 Roxton Rd Oakville On L6H 6V3. Do not attempt to email these files, as their large size will cause significant difficulties with your computer and/or your e-mail provider.
The Schoolhouse is available for community rentals at $20/hour. Contact Gord Kaitting or Michelle Knoll (see the Contacts page) for more information